With Mitt Romney the GOP presidential nominee heir apparent, and with his religion already being questioned, I've received numerous emails and inquiries on what position I will take based on my past public pronouncements. I've received, in general, five specific questions about Mitt Romney, Mormonism, and Presidential Politics:
- Can Christians vote for a Mormon?
- Should Christians vote for the Republican nominee, no matter who that is, to stop Barack Obama from four more years in the White House?
- What characteristics should Christians look for in a candidate?
- If I do not vote for Mitt Romney, am I by default voting for Obama?
- Will God hold me accountable for my votes and will pragmatism be an allowable excuse?
I posed these questions to my pastor, Dr. Dennis Brunet, Senior Pastor of Midway Baptist Church in Gulf Breeze, FL. In a taped interview conducted over just under an hour on Monday, April 23, 2012. The answers I received both validated what I believe and also Bro Dennis (as he is wont to be called) surprised me with a couple of his answers.
He tackled the questions in a different order than appears above and here is Part 1 of the interview where he answers the question:
Should Christians vote for the Republican nominee, no matter who that is, to stop Barack Obama from four more years in the White House?