Dr. James Dobson

When I read Dr. James Dobson's interview at Charisma News about Donald Trump becoming a Christian, where he stated, "I believe he really made a commitment, but he's a baby Christian. We all need to be praying for him, especially if there's a possibility of him being our next chief executive officer," I privately emailed Dr. Dobson to get clarification. I also wanted to know that  if it was true about Trump, whether or not he was being discipled.

Dr. Dobson gave me permission to publish his answer:

David

Only the Lord knows the condition of a person’s heart.  I can only tell you what I’ve heard.  First, he appears to be tender to things of the Spirit.  I also hear that Paula White has known Trump for years and that she personally led him to Christ.  Do I know that for sure?  No.  Do I know the details of that alleged conversion?  I can’t say that I do.  But there are many Christian leaders who are serving on a faith advisory committee for Trump in the future.  I am among them.  There are about 45 of us that include Franklin Graham, Robert Jeffress, Jack Graham, Ben Carson, James Robison, Jerry Johnson, and many others whom you would probably know.  We’ve all agreed to serve. How will that play out if Trump becomes president.  I don’t know.  It is a good start, I would think.

If anything, this man is a baby Christian who doesn’t have a clue about how believers think, talk and act.  All I can tell you is that we have only two choices, Hillary or Donald.  Hillary scares me to death.  And if Christians stay home because he isn’t a better candidate, Hillary will run the world for perhaps eight years.  The very thought of that haunts my nights and days.  One thing is sure:  we need to be in prayer for our nation at this time of crisis.

Hope this helps.

Jim

I appreciate Dr. Dobson's candor and honesty. His answer, as he wrote to me in a succeeding email, is stated with disclaimers of not knowing for sure if Mr. Trump actually is saved.

I told him that I am both skeptical and hopeful. My skepticism is grounded in the fact that I do not consider Paula White a minister of the word. However, even the lost can lead the lost to Christ. I am further skeptical because there is usually immediate evidence of repentance when someone comes to Christ. I've yet to see that from Mr. Trump.

I am hopeful, because if Mr. Trump did give his life to Christ, the many men of faith whom have access to him can not only help disciple him in his new life in Christ, but also help Mr. Trump to develop a biblical worldview.

We can cast stones at James Dobson, whom I find a very kind and gracious man, and completely discount Donald Trump's supposed Christian conversion.

Or we can pray for not only Mr. Trump's salvation and sanctification, but also for Trump's faith advisory committee that they would have great influence over him based on biblical principles.

Is this not what we should be praying for?

Tagged with:

13 Responses to Dr. Dobson’s Answer to my Question

1. Dr. Lee D. Cary says:

Re: Dr. Dobson’s response,”If anything, this man is a baby Christian who doesn’t have a clue about how believers think, talk and act.”

Elitism is, at its base, a pure expression of pride and arrogance, IMHO. The notion of a “baby Christian” is both prideful and arrogant. From whence cometh the felt authority for one person to judge whether another, who professes to adhere to the Christian faith, is a baby, adolescent, adult, or senior adult Christian?

I’ve read much of the Bible in its original written language of Hebrew and Greek. Taught preaching in a well-respected protestant seminary; preached for 25 years; performed countless funerals; weddings and memorial services; and am put off by the arrogance of one Christian calling another a “baby Christian.” One either is, or is not, a Christian. Period. Full stop.

• Rebekah says:

Yet, there is a variance of maturity in Christian growth, is there not? Just a young child still must learn his ABC’s and 1,2,3’s, isn’t it reasonable that a new Christian would also have many things to learn as the Spirit leads? A new Christian would only have a small amount of spiritual maturity versus a Christian who has been studying and living the Scriptures for many years? Both are Christians, as you stated – no argument here. However referring to a new convert as a “baby” Christian is not arrogant or pride. “Therefore, laying aside all malice, all deceit, hypocrisy, envy, and all evil speaking, as newborn babes, desire the pure milk of the word, that you may grow thereby,if indeed you have tasted that the Lord is gracious.” 2 Peter 2:2

• Harry Beatty says:

1 Peter 2: 1Therefore, rid yourselves of all malice and all deceit, hypocrisy, envy, and slander of every kind. 2Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation, 3now that you have tasted that the Lord is good.

I would respectfully disagree Dr. Lee and let me explain, the scripture refers to our maturity as a Christian as a process in numerous places. Our salvation is instant but our sanctification is a process just like the human growth process from newborn to being old in age and just as newborn babies need nurturing and loving guidance likewise newborn Christians need loving guidance/discipleship by godly mentors as we mature in our faith. Jesus himself said unless we become as little children it would not be possible to enter into the kingdom of heaven. We do not have to judge the maturity level of a Christian but if a 60 year old becomes saved he/she is considered a newborn(born again) Christian and will begin the sanctification process and renewing of his/her mind as the Bible tells us regardless of what we may think. I hope this doesn’t come across as offensive and I may be wrong and am open for correction if based on biblical principle but it is just my humble understanding of the Word.

God Bless you Dr. Lee keep spreading the truth of God’s Word.

2. Gary says:

David,
    Great insight to a side of a man whom we should all get to know better and continue to pray for. The only “flag” I picked up on in your well-written article is of your own bias, shown through your self-admitted skepticism of Paula White. Although your caveat seemed to qualify your remark, it just seemed out of character for you. Instead of skepticism, why not acceptance? None of us are perfect and all of us who are Christian were not led to Christ by a “qualified” individual. Let’s give it some time and watch how Christ works in The Donald’s life as he will be expected to fill big shoes in his new role as commander-in-chief.
    Blessings…
    G

• Dave says:

Gary,

Skepticism grounded in biblical fact is not bias or negativity; it is neutral. The truth always shines light in the dark. If we always accept everyone, then where is the gospel needed? While the Holy Spirit leads us to Christ, someone or the Bible is what tells us about Christ. Romans 10:14. Thanks for the reply!

V/R
      Dave

3. Carol Bishop says:

Amen, thank you for sharing this.

4. Malarie says:

My concern has never been whether or not he is a Christian my concern is whether or not he is capable of being the leader of our country. However if this is true and he is willing to surround himself with Godly men and Christian counsellors then I will be watching to see if he can collect himself for this election. I am still very skeptical.

5. Rosemary Welch says:

Yes. It is a good start. Will do.

6. Brandy Leonard says:

Thank you Bro.Dave! I have set my heart on the things of God praying His word over our leadership and that none shall perish. No stones here only surrender, praying others will be known for their love for one another as we are commanded.

In Christ,
    Brandy

7. Andrew McQueen-Thomson says:

As a Christian, who is a work in progress. I certainly will pray for Mr Trump, and all c who choose to follow tge way of OUR LORD. I know I need all the prayers in my efforts to becone a good Christain. The GOOD LORD understands I am a sinner tryibg to follow his way.
    Yours in Christ.
    Andrew.y3

8. Tacia Dawson says:

Thank you Bro. Dave for sharing. I continue to pray for the potential presidential candidate for this nation but I don’t believe in my heart that Trump represents my Christian & conservative values & therefore I will be doing a write-in republican presidential candidate. Thank you Bro. Dave for being involved in the political process & for continuing to inspire Christians to take a stand on important life issues.

9. Harry Beatty says:

All of the early Christians in the early church were skeptical of Paul’s conversion as well but their skepticism did not impact the change and way that God worked mightily through him. Yes Donald Trump has a past and may have committed adultery or is not a perfect person(sinner) but that does not exclude him from God being able to use him in the same way in 2016. Man will always look at the outward appearance and actions of a person that claims to be a Christian and judge for themselves who is saved or not saved. David was also an adulterer and God himself called him “a man after God’s heart” and God considered that sin as never happening, sanctified, washed away forgiven forever and redeemed by His blood on the cross for ALL. Is Donald Trump truly a born again Christian, only God knows but if he is Dr. Dobson is right, he doesn’t walk, talk, or act like us yet and needs to be discipled and praise God that he is being surrounded by many godly men to advise him and praise god he is open to that, unlike his opponent Hillary. Paul was a serial killer and hater of Christians before his conversion so of course their is room for doubt of whether he was truly converted for a while, and it is easy for us modern Christians to know that he was because we are on the other side of the story but if we were living in Paul’s day I’m sure we would all be skeptical as well. Christian’s need to all join in prayer around the world for the next POTUS as we move forward in this ever so dimming world that we live in where truth is being thrown to the ground and evil is rising. When November rolls around(and it’s coming quickly) we are likely to be left with 2 choices Hillary or Trump and yes there will be opportunity to write in another candidate, or stay at home but reality is one of those 2 are going to be POTUS(unless something major happens). I sure don’t want Hillary as President to continue 4 or 8 more years of Obama and the best defense at this point for someone to uphold our freedoms, our rights and our faith sure looks to be Donald Trump.

10. Carolyn says:

Thank you for this David.
    I’ll say the same thing I’ve been saying, that if he’s found salvation, I am glad for him. It’s what many folks including myself have prayed for. However that doesn’t change the fact that he’s not fit to lead our country,and I do have to disagree with Dr.Dobson on that point. I’ll vote my conscience.

But thank you for posting this, and I appreciate Dr. Dobson giving you permission to post his reply.

Web development by Rustixs Interactive